Friday, August 13, 2010

See Gulls


Inspired by Alan Strong's recent post to the VTBird listserv, I stopped at a congregation of gulls that I probably would have driven by normally. There were at least 40 or so in a feeding frenzy. Flying ants were taking off in droves from large colonies alongside the USDA Forestry Services parking lot in South Burlington. The stream of ants went on for a half hour while I was there, and as the pace of ants lifting off slowed around 7:40pm, the gulls began to leave. I counted at least 4 Bonaparte's Gullsout of all the Ring-billeds in the flock, and managed to get a few photos of one. I feel like I have seen large groups of gulls near I-89 in Burlington in past years around this time, and will have to start paying more attention to them!

No comments:

Post a Comment